Wednesday 16 January 2013

Friend or not, I had to pay rent, buy food, and so on. My initial plan was to find myself a day job which I could be doing while my son was at school. This was a foolish plan. I did not reckon on my son's limpet like attachment to me whenever we left the 'family home'. Still, first things first: I took myself off to the job centre with the thought that I'd done quite enough organising for one person so maybe they could do some of the work for me. I also had to sign on. Another brother (for I have many) was on hand to look after my son while I attended my interview. He was actually fine with all of my family members, as if he sensed a connection.

Within about ten minutes of explaining my situation I was told it was more advisable for me to claim Income Support, so I was duly passed on to another representative of  the Job Centre - one who only dealt with lone parents (as we are now called). She listened to everything I had to say and asked me more than once if I  thought there would be a reconciliation with my wife. I am sure that is procedure, as families that stay together probably save the Welfare State a fair amount of money.

She then told me that given my son's circumstances it was not advisable for me to work, as he would need a settling in period.Also I was probably the most qualified to support him out of school, and after school club was not an option until he was more confident in his new surroundings. She then listed all the benefits I was entitled to, set them all up for me and told me she would see me in six months to discuss my possible return to work. As I made my way to meet my brother and son I was feeling slightly bemused. Having worked solidly since I was 16, I was now being supported completely by the state. That is what it is to live in a 'civilised' country. I had paid my taxes and national insurance for over 30 years; I guess that was one of the reasons why. Now I could really take stock and focus on my son's care. Thank you Welfare State ...

No comments:

Post a Comment