Friday 19 April 2013

When I first received the diagnosis for my son my biggest and most overwhelming fear was that he would not progress, that he would stay the same.From age two' to the time of the diagnosis at age three and six months' he had barely learnt anything, or so it seemed to me. Although we could play and have great fun together it seemed like he was not learning. He was eating and growing but his intellect did not seem to grow. At his preschool they were trying some techniques to help his cognitive skills progress,  but it seemed like very slow progress,  and if he did not attend for a few days, he appeared to have forgotten everything.

I am a little ashamed to admit it but of all things,  if he did not progress it would have been the hardest thing for me to come to terms with. I love my son and no matter what it is unconditional. I would do whatever to make his life a happy one but if he had stayed more or less the same I would have found that very challenging.    As it was though that did not happen and he has made progress consistently since the diagnosis. I most definitely think that without all the help and support he has been given, he would have taken a lot longer to get to where he is now and none of this would have happened without the diagnosis.

In my minds eye I liken my sons path to independence like that of a child learning to ride a bike. I am running behind him holding the saddle waiting for the right time to let go so he can cycle on his own. The only thing is I have been running for a long time and there are others running along side me. We are all cheering my son on  almost willing him to cycle on his own.

I am sure I am not alone, with what I thought originally,  and I am sure there are many parents who like me still grapple with a small amount of guilt. But when all said and done we all of us just want the best for our children, and when faced with having a child who not only has to overcome the day to day challenges of living but also has to learn a whole set of coping skills whilst trying to keep up with their peers, it can be no surprise that hoping and praying for any kind of progress would be a natural thing.

Now I am very confidant my son will achieve independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment