Wednesday 24 April 2013

I feel it is important to make some mention of the so called qualified people who insist that autism is something that can be cured, I am off the opinion,  it can no more be cured than being gay can be cured,  but that does not stop people trying to cure gay and autistic people. I really do not know, so I am only making a guess here, but when faced with a child on the autistic spectrum any parent is going to first do a lot of research then look at the not so conventional methods out there for the so called cure for autism which I should repeat does not exist.

I have come to this conclusion simply because in my opinion the fundamental effects of autism on any child or adult is emotional, that is to say emotions are felt more keenly by people on the spectrum. How do you cure emotions? Not all autistic children are the same as their heightened senses affect them in different ways, granted there are many similarities, but one child might hate to eat chicken while another will only eat chicken. My son on first meeting him can be very sociable but if physical affection comes into play he can be very stilted and awkward, some autistic children give the most amazing hugs and so on.


What worries me and also makes me a little angry are the people who profit from all of the confusion, the people who profess to have had made noticeable progress with autistic children,  when the child was going to progress anyway. The people who charge exorbitant fees for so called cures that have no scientific basis and are just pure conjecture.  


What I am trying to say is autism is not tangible, you can find no evidence of it, it is not the colour black, a heart doesn't beat faster or slower,  they say there is an anomaly in the brain, but only after using the most sophisticated M.R.I. scan can this be detected and it is more to do with firing neurons than a defect or mutation.So is that the firing neurons of an autistic child or does an autistic child fire these kind of neurons or did the autism develop very early in pregnancy and these firing neurons only confirm what has already been diagnosed. Or is the only difference that the child has heightened senses,  that when exposed to our modern world can not cope so implode.


You tell me. Trouble is you can't. Because you don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment