Monday 11 April 2016

Pining for Primary

  Now that my son has been at secondary school for almost 2 years I am finding myself pining for the days he was at primary. Then the communication I had with the school was excellent .If I wanted to I could speak with his teacher every day ,if I had any concerns .There were less than 300 pupils and by primary 3 my son was well known and well supported within the school .

Now however things are very different . I can email his teachers even telephone his guidance teacher.I will always get a positive response, but it is not the same , he is one pupil amongst 1400 .
A very different dynamic , and as such I feel a little out of touch , much as I did when he first got his diagnosis at age 3 and 1/2 .

I am sure it is not the intention of the school to make me feel this way ,but sadly I do . I long gave up trying to understand autism or even think about the cause . I have instead decided to go along for the journey with my son at the helm , after all he is the one in the eye of the storm. Like any parent I will have advice and experience to pass on .My son is on a unique journey of his own ,the whys and wherefores whilst maybe somewhat enlightening, do not adequately deal with the here and nows .


And as every parent discovers over time ,good teachers are like diamonds ,and for my son , good teachers are the difference between him dipping his toe ,or him diving in ,to a subject . Good teachers are invaluable to all they teach . To some one who has in my view a higher hill to climb , good teachers are the connection he needs to the world where his disability is not in the majority .


No comments:

Post a Comment