Thursday 27 February 2014

Well it was a tough day but we got through it, I exaggerate .It was a tough 45 minutes, let me explain. I had already primed my son for his first trip on a bus alone.First we took the journey together with me pretending to be an innocent by stander ,occasionally pointing out land marks on the way and finally showing the stop he should get off. The next step was to see him on to the bus then wait at the other end to make sure he got there in one piece , this he did with aplomb. he actually took it a step further and waited for me at our front door.

Full of mixed emotions I could do nothing but kiss his head and proclaim how proud of him I was. It has made me reassess his progress and understand better the pigeon holing aspect of his character ,seems each task is approached with it's own set of emotions and that his processing of the semantics of any given task are stored neatly in his computer like brain .

 Over the years his confidence in his abilities has grown and so he has always been willing to re approach  something that he has found difficult in the past , it seems he is able to fine tune his personal assessment of his abilities and with encouragement (important) he will try again. A good example is tying his own shoe laces . I had always bought him shoes with Velcro fastenings (something that is proving more difficult as his feet grow) but peer pressure, and his obvious sense of style led him to asking me to buy him converse lace ups no less. He struggled with the laces for many months but he persevered and eventually he learned to tie them. He was careful not to wear them to places where he might have to remove his shoes .

Which suggests to me a much deeper cognitive understanding than I had thought he had. Like any human there is a lot going on in his mind the problem he has sometimes, which is also a benefit, is steely like focus .Any time I interrupt him from the particular task he is focusing on he can get quite upset, needless to say  his calm returns quickly.

As he grows and learns it seems his depth also increases and I am discovering that by pushing him and showing him he can easily grasp what it is I am trying to teach him he can eventually complete the task (recently he made toast ) .I just have to repeat my self many many times before he finally understands what it is I am putting across. Experience is key in all learning, feeling an emotion for the first time is daunting but returning to that emotion and recognizing it,s effect can lessen the impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment